Saturday, January 17, 2009

Set up

Okay, my set up.  I have two rooms, one for my drawing and one for sculpture.

There's nothing to my drawing outfit, really.  A drafting table with a repurposed Budweiser sign for a lamp, several sharpened 8B graphite pencils, a .5 mm mech pencil when needed, chamois, a kneaded and vinyl eraser, graphite powder, and a sheet of palette paper (basically waxed paper) to keep my hand from smudging.

A draw very observationally, so I use a lot of my own reference photos, National Geographic pages, and internet images for inspiration.

I know.  Very pansy.  Every professor I've had would sneer at me sitting down, my face buried in a small piece of bristol paper, drawing from photographs.  It's just so damn fun.  Here's a teaser image:


The adjacent sculpture room is basically a sink, a table for paints and grounds, and a huge pile of styrofoam:


Fischer's is the only place here in Logan I can find who deals with this amount and kind of foam.  Giving the warehouse guys donuts every now and then doesn't hurt.

The only thing I found that works for gluing the styrofoam together is this stuff, a spray expansion foam:


I tape the pieces together first, then spray in the cracks to let the foam fill the spaces.  Here is an example of a built piece:

I use anything, including my bare hands, to shape the foam.  Watch for foam density:  the high-density stuff can be a bear to carve.

Next post:  shaping foam and layering the texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment